From: Michael Bode <m.g.bode@web.de>
Subject: Re: Anyone using Ada with Real-Time Linux?
Date: 27 Nov 2001 07:34:26 +0100
Date: 2001-11-27T07:34:26+01:00	[thread overview]

"Per Sandbergs" <prsa@cntw.com> writes:

> We made a measurment on WinNT4 on a double CPUmachine and got no problems at
> all to meet deadlines of 1 ms with windows runing.
> So if you got only two threads on the CPU, one sampler running at high
> priority and one sender runing at lower priority i wold not be
> suprized if almost "any" operating system with non blocking io would do.

How do you get only 2 threads on a NT machine? Normally there are
dozens of threads.

> As a note:
>     There was a masters thesis done comparing WinNT and RH linux out of the
> box and they performed almost equal.

That seems to fit together with

  http://www.rtlinux.org/documents/papers/rtmanifesto/rtlmanifesto.html

where they say the exactly same: both have equally poor realtime
performance. However transforming NT in a realtime OS means paying to
Venturcom or similar companies while RTLinux (not to be confused with
RH Linux) claims to be realtime and is free.

Before anyone proves that RTLinux is no realtime too, I will admit
that I have zero experience with it. My only realtime experience is
with programming a kind of VxWorks called MCore in IEC1131.