From: Karel Miklav <karel@inetis.spppambait.com>
Subject: Re: incomplete languages
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:33:35 +0100
Date: 2003-01-14T08:33:35+01:00	[thread overview]

John R. Strohm wrote:
> "Georg Bauhaus" <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message
>
>>Karel Miklav <karel@inetis.spppambait.com> wrote:
>>: so I have to export logic to the remote database server. This logic can
>>: be written in Ada like syntax, but clearly not in Ada, the language.
>>
>>Couldn't you, practically, split your program into partitions, one
>>running on the database computer, using Ada from the Distributed Systems
>>annex?
>
> It sounded to me as though he wanted that built into the language, so that
> the programmer would neither know nor care whether the program was focused
> in one CPU or distributed across many, by an unspecified communications
> subsystem.

An application server like web server or an SQL database has to accept
data and code from its clients. It can parse scripts, but it generally
has no clue about compiled programs and binary objects it receives,
unless they are described in another language like IDL, ODL, WSDL or
something.

If everything could be just written once, that would be perfect; but are
  compiled languages reflexive enough for something like that? The
answer is no, by definition; but with some binding technology... Isn't
it true, that we can express everything in english?

Regards, Karel Miklav