From: Brian Drummond <brian@shapes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: ANN: Storage pool for Ada 2005 with bindings to Apache Runtime Pools library
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:59:48 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2011-03-24T15:59:48+00:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:00:04 -0600, Brad Moore wrote:

> This is the initial release of a storage pool for Ada 2005 called
> Deepend, that binds to the Apache Runtime Pools library.
>
> The latest stable release and older releases may be downloaded from;
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/deepend/files/

Excellent!

> Low-level Bindings to the Apache Runtime Pools library were recently
> used for a submission to the Computer Language Benchmarks game, binary
> tree benchmark, and moved Ada into the number 2 spot behind C. On my
> machine, the Ada version actually runs 10% faster than the C version,
> but for some reason the benchmark has C ahead of Ada. It may be that the
> number of worker threads isn't tuned correctly for the benchmark
> hardware, or compiler version differences, or other differences related
> to the target platform.

Great work, and certainly blows the doors off my puny efforts!

You may be right about tuning the number of threads; on my (AMD Phenom)
system, my version (#3) gave the same runtime for 4 or 8 tasks, but on
the test system (Intel Q6600) 8 tasks was about 10% slower than 4. (The
memory footprint was doubled, suggesting memory or cache limitations on
the Intel system).

It may be worth posting the Deepend version - either there, or is there a
place on Rosetta for it? - as a demonstration of the flexibility of Ada's
storage pools.

- Brian