From: Noel Duffy <hobcraft-usenet@yahooxtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Differences between gnat 4.4.5 and 4.5.1
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:42:20 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2011-03-10T21:42:20+00:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:32:04 +0100, Mart van de Wege wrote:

> Julian Leyh <julian@vgai.de> writes:

>> What do "file" and "ldd" tell you about them? Are the sizes more
>> similar if you "strip" them?
>
> I'd be inclined to think stripping may be the culprit. Debian is well
> known to use stripped binaries by default, so I wouldn't be surprised if
> the various toolchains are set up that way as well.

I took care to strip both executables before comparison. The disparity in
size is after stripping, not before.

> IIRC, this is what led them to stop being the default GNU distro, as the
> GNU folks like their binaries with debug info by default. And since
> Fedora is mostly a Red Hat project, and Red Hat has absorbed a *lot* of
> the GCC devs via Cygnus, I'd expect Fedora to *not* strip by default.

On both Debian and Fedora gnatmake leaves debug information in by default.
However, I am use -largs -s to strip the executables.

Redhat like to ship debug information as separate .dbg files these days,
so you get smaller executables without losing debug information. There is
a special debug repository where you can download debug information for
any rpm.