From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org>
Subject: Re: gnat GPL 2010 or gcc/ada?
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 20:51:43 -0800
Date: 2011-03-05T20:51:43-08:00	[thread overview]

On 3/4/2011 5:05 PM, onox wrote:

> In my opinion Gentoo doesn't really have good Ada support. Latest
> version of gnat-gcc is 4.3.4 and of gnat-gpl is 4.1.3.2008-r1. And
> (according to the ChangeLog files) most Ada packages seem to be quite
> old. I found it easier to just download gnat-gpl 2010 from ACT's
> website. (If I could run VM's, I would develop in a Debian or *BSD VM)

The above type of thing is what confuses me.

I am now downloading gcc 4.5.1-2 (I use cygwin, and this is what
it says the latest gcc for cygwin), but I also use linux on
virtual PC sometimes.

So, how does one know which version of "Ada" or GNAT the above has?
i.e. compared to gnat GPL2010?  i.e. which one would be more recent?

What is the reference point any way? I assume they are both Ada 2005.

Another question: I would like to use gcc to build an Ada program,
only because I know gcc is available everywhere, but if I use gnat GPL
how do I make sure the same program will build with gcc if
one of these 2 choices happened to be 'recent' than the other or
one has more packages than the other?

i.e. which gcc version does GNAT GPL 2010 correspond to?

So that if I use gnat GPL, and send the code to someone, and
they use gcc to compile, they will not get an errors?

one more thing: if I want to use GPS for editing/compiling/debugging
an Ada program, do I have to use GNAT GPL compiler or can I use
gcc with that?

thank you,
--Nasser