From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Using local storage pools...
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 21:07:01 -0600
Date: 2011-02-25T21:07:01-06:00	[thread overview]

"Brian Drummond" <brian_drummond@btconnect.com> wrote in message
news:7elam6trrv39c3p9iop4fiduqa1jrat4r4@4ax.com...
>I am trying to learn a little about storage pools, with a view to
>(hopefully)
> using local pools to improve the Binary_Trees benchmark in the same way as
> some
> of the faster C benchmarks.
>
> Arguably they cheat : they do not explicitly free each tree node (the
> "free"
> call has been deleted!) but free the entire pool at the end of the loop.
> But if that's valid, Ada should be able to do the same.

Another thought: the Multiway_Tree container may very well have this
behavior. The bounded version *has* to have this behavior. Not sure what
effect using the container would have on the benchmark, but it would be an
interesting option to try. (Of course, this is another Ada 2012 feature, but
it is easy to implement in existing compilers and I believe it is available
in recent versions of GNAT.)

                                       Randy.