* Build / Make configuration tools and Ada medium or large projects
@ 2011-02-08 10:23 Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-02-08 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

While GCC optionally supports Ada, the GNU build configurations, both on
end user and upstream side, seems mostly C/C++ oriented (as I feel).
Anyway, honestly, I do not enjoy these, not even Makefiles which looks
most of time unreadable to me (I am even less seasoned with these), and
the overall process is not always that much clear to me (mostly when error
occurs when I want to compile something for which no Windows binaries are
provided). I was looking at some alternatives, and found about Waf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waf
and CMake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waf

Still both, while they looks nice, still seems to be C/C++ oriented. When
I read CMake as used for the KDE project was able to generate standard
Makefiles along with MSVC project files, I cannot avoid the though “MSVC
does not support Ada” (as an example).

What kind of tools comes with knowledge of overall available Ada compilers
and vendors associated project management ? Say you have an Ada project
organized with AdaCore's GPR files, what would you use to make this
project buildable with another vendor project management facilities and
compilers ?

At least, does it miss to someones ? Or  no ones bother because nobody
ever faced the case ? (if the second is the true one, this may explain why
I have never seen this)

I know Ada does not suffer some weird requirements typical of C and which
was the first reason for the need of Makefiles to build C applications,
but this does not cover all cases. At least some topic likes source file
names layout, file hierarchy, search paths, ways to select set of bodies
(when multiple are available) for a given package, linker options for
non-Ada stuffs like libraries, C files, etc, all of these cannot be handle
by the Ada package system alone (by the way, using pragmas for linker
options may not be that good, as I am not sure other compilers would
really understand these options the intended way).

If GPR files are a kind of standard supported by other vendors and not
only GNAT, then there is nothing to search for, as everything would be
already there. But I don't believe this is so widely used, as GNAT being
the most widely know Ada compiler, does not mean this is shared by
everyone (this may be only true for some kind of users).

Some testimonies and witnesses on the topic ?

--
Si les chats miaulent et font autant de vocalises bizarres, c’est pas pour
les chiens.

“I am fluent in ASCII” [Warren 2010]

* Re: Build / Make configuration tools and Ada medium or large projects
@ 2011-02-08 17:20 ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2011-02-08 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 8, 4:23 am, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
<yannick_duch...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> What kind of tools comes with knowledge of overall available Ada compilers
> and vendors associated project management ? Say you have an Ada project
> organized with AdaCore's GPR files, what would you use to make this
> project buildable with another vendor project management facilities and
> compilers ?

You may be able to use GPRbuild to invoke non-GNAT compilers,
including other vendor's Ada compliers.  I haven't had a chance to try
it yet but I may have to within the coming year.

See

http://www2.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gprbuild-docs/pdf/gprbuild_ug.pdf

or

http://www2.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gprbuild-docs/html/gprbuild_ug.html

- Britt

* Re: Build / Make configuration tools and Ada medium or large projects
@ 2011-02-19  9:45 ` Dirk Heinrichs
From: Dirk Heinrichs @ 2011-02-19  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:

> What kind of tools comes with knowledge of overall available Ada compilers
> and vendors associated project management ? Say you have an Ada project
> organized with AdaCore's GPR files, what would you use to make this
> project buildable with another vendor project management facilities and
> compilers ?

I've implemented a small build system for GNAT/GCC based C/C++ and Ada
compilation using omake (Mojave project, not Windows omake). I've used the
GNAT compilation rules as described in the GNAT ref manual to do this. It
does automatic dependency resolution (using a small perl script for the
scanner) and can cope with sub units.

Just drop me a mail if you want more details.

Bye...

	Dirk