From: anon@anon.org (anon)
Subject: Re: MinGW Ada compiler licence question targeting commercial
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:33:50 GMT
Date: 2009-06-19T06:33:50+00:00	[thread overview]

Actually, GNAT uses GPL version 1, 2, and 3. And you can still download
binary versions of GNAT for Linux that are licenced under GPL version 1.

Now, GNAT GPL 2009 uses both version 2 and 3 ( GNAT files: "copying",
and "copying3" ). Using "Copying3" which may contain additions or changes
to the GPL version 3 license that Adacore prefers for GNAT instead of the
FSF general version.

The GPL only forces the supplier of the object (compiled aka Non-Source
Forms) code to make available the source code.  There is no statement or
phase in the GPL version 3, or 2, or even 1 that states the source code
must be "FREE" except for accessing the source on networks.

Version 3:
  From the Preamble ( Third paragraph )

     When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom,
     not price. ...

Version 3:
  4. Conveying Verbatim Copies.

     You may convey verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you
     receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and
     appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice;
     keep intact all notices stating that this License and any
     non-permissive terms added in accord with section 7 apply to the
     code; keep intact all notices of the absence of any warranty; and
     give all recipients a copy of this License along with the Program.

     You may charge any price or no price for each copy that you
     convey, and you may offer support or warranty protection for a fee.

This allows one to set a price, for source code. But this does not stop
one from charging another price for the object (compiled aka Non-Source
Forms) code.
Plus, the third parties may want to pay for:
        1. source code only, or
        2. object code only, or
        3. both object and source code.

Plus,
Version 3:
  6. Conveying Non-Source Forms.

    b) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product
    (including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by a
    written offer, valid for at least three years and valid for as
    long as you offer spare parts or customer support for that product
    model, to give anyone who possesses the object code either (1) a
    copy of the Corresponding Source for all the software in the
    product that is covered by this License, on a durable physical
    medium customarily used for software interchange, for a price no
    more than your reasonable cost of physically performing this
    conveying of source, or (2) access to copy the
    Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge.

Subparagraph (6.b) does not allow anyone without right from Adacore to sell
any part of GNAT or its tool suite, except for maintaining, downloading and
compiling the program. And that price must be no more than a "reasonable
cost" for someone to perform those task!

    d) Convey the object code by offering access from a designated
    place (gratis or for a charge), and offer equivalent access to the
    Corresponding Source in the same way through the same place at no
    further charge.  You need not require recipients to copy the
    Corresponding Source along with the object code.  If the place to
    copy the object code is a network server, the Corresponding Source
    may be on a different server (operated by you or a third party)
    that supports equivalent copying facilities, provided you maintain
    clear directions next to the object code saying where to find the
    Corresponding Source.  Regardless of what server hosts the
    Corresponding Source, you remain obligated to ensure that it is
    available for as long as needed to satisfy these requirements.

Subparagraph (6.d) allows the object and source codes to be split from each
other.

Also, "Corresponding Source' may be omitted in the case of where the source
would cause a "Patent Infringement" so giving a compiled object module may
be required. Another case is where the software accesses libraries that have a
national security concerns. Like using a "Cryptographic Module" or library that
might be available to one country but not all.

Plus, businesses understand that the cost of a software engineer to download,
compile and maintain the source code is too expensive. They prefer the
initial system to be compiled on a CD/DVD with printed documentations.

Because, if one is setting up a "roll your own" system for a client, like
using GPL system the cost may be too high. Like using Linux with GNAT may
contain 1000s of GPL software packages and with the cost of that CD/DVD
that is less than $5.00, but the cost of compiling and modifying each
package may cost $1,000 or more depending upon the system and the number
of packages to be installed.

That's why most businesses prefer their software engineer to install Linux
from companies like Debian, RedHat or SuSE for their open source systems.
Also, they sometime prefer the non in-house software engineer to keep the
software, that way the software engineer can update the software as the
patches become available. And install these updates periodically.