From: Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP>
Subject: Re: GCC and cross compiling Ada, was: Re: avr-ada ubuntu cross-compiler build failed
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:53:49 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2011-02-10T12:53:49+00:00	[thread overview]

On 2011-02-10, Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> wrote:

> Cross compiling for Ada has additional issues, including run time library
> and exception support.
>
> I understand that multi-lib support for Ada is been worked on (and is
> probably supported by now, but you would need to check), but this has also
> been a issue with past versions of GCC as well.
>
> While I have Ada programs working in a cross-compiler environment, they have
> always been run under RTEMS and not as a standalone image.

I was implictly thinking about ARM processors when I wrote the above because
they are the focus of my current projects.

Seeing that the OP was talking about the AVR, I should also point out that
I have successfully built a older version of the AVR Ada standalone cross
compiler in the past which worked ok within the limits of the port.

This is from memory, but there were additional AVR Ada specific steps
involved, including applying patches to the toolchain source (IIRC).

However, I don't remember it as been anything too difficult to work out
given that I had already been through a similar process getting Ada code
to work under RTEMS on a ARM board.

Simon.