From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT version for Ada training?
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 18:21:01 -0600
Date: 2011-02-08T18:21:01-06:00	[thread overview]

"Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
news:op.vqkj61qcule2fv@garhos...
Le Mon, 07 Feb 2011 23:28:17 +0100, Randy Brukardt <randy@rrsoftware.com>
a �crit:
>> Windows tries hard to discourage installation of any program without
>> administrator permissions, especially on Windows XP and more recent. Any
>> program that needs to modify the registry is going to have problems -
>There are plenty of useful things which can already be done with
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Writing to this one, does not requires administrative
>rights.

Right, but that doesn't include registering programs, help files, and
extensions. It's pretty hard to write a good Windows program without doing
those things.

>> and
>> "good" Windows programs will write various things into the registry.
>The quotes was welcome, as as-the time goes, more people enjoy
>configuration in files instead of the registry: drop-and-run, the same it
>is possible with MacOS. The application reside in its own directory, and
>mostly write only there, optionally in Application Data, except the
>documents it generates.

Janus/Ada used to be that way, but people can't figure it out. These days,
they expect do-everything installers. I'd surely prefer to spend my time on
other things, but you can't claim customers are always wrong and expect to
have any customers...

>May be this would be better to at least display a message to tell the user
>why this need admin account when there is really no other way.

This is detailed in the installation documentation. I doubt anyone ever
reads that (you could be the first :-), but we still send it...

                        Randy.