From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT version for Ada training?
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 16:28:17 -0600
Date: 2011-02-07T16:28:17-06:00	[thread overview]

"Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
news:op.vqhz552bule2fv@garhos...
>> AdaGIDE by Martin Carlisle at the US Air Force Academy is a nice
>> simple IDE for GNAT that we use in our freshman level classes.  The
>> AdaGIDE home page is at http://adagide.martincarlisle.com/
>Wanted to ask a question here: why do installation of AdaGIDE in Windows,
>requires administrative rights ? I've tried to install it from a user
>account (for multiple reasons, I self restrict the use of the
>administrative account), and was so much surprise this kind of application
>requires an administrative account to be installed, that I thrown it to
>the trash-bin right after I get this message.

Windows tries hard to discourage installation of any program without
administrator permissions, especially on Windows XP and more recent. Any
program that needs to modify the registry is going to have problems - and
"good" Windows programs will write various things into the registry.

I've tried to make this for for Janus/Ada, and it works OK Windows XP if you
chose restrictive settings (install for current user only, don't install
Claw). But I cannot make the installer work on Windows 7 that way, and it
isn't worth the fight. So the next version of the installer is going to be
administrator only (presuming I can figure out how to get the manifest set
properly).

Note that all Windows installers ought to register an uninstaller with
Windows (requiring registry writes). And a program like AdaGIDE probably
will want to register extensions like .Ada as well -- that definitely
requires registry writing only in administrator mode. (This is the same
reason that you can't install Claw from a non-administrator account: the
builder registers its extensions and that doesn't work.)

So I don't find that unusual; I'd pretty much expect it to be the case.

                                         Randy.