From: anon@att.net
Subject: Re: Open source Ada OS?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:37:13 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2011-01-26T00:37:13+00:00	[thread overview]

In <4d3f3be3$0$22088$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>, "R. Tyler Croy" <tyler@linux.com> writes:
>I've seen MaRTE OS which has source available, the development isn't really
>conducted in a large open SVN/Git repo as far as I can tell.
>

>Are there any projects incorporate Ada with an open source operating system,
>the Debian/kFreeBSD project comes to mind.
>

>--
>- R. Tyler Croy
>--------------------------------------
>    Code: http://github.com/rtyler

Most open OS that use CVS/SVN/GIT are based on BSD or LINUX or the AT&T
old OS system.

And before complaining about Ada OSs, remember Linux is a single file
and to obtain its source, one must download a single archived file. Linux
does not use CVS/SVN/GIT.

As for MaTRE/Openravencar/RTERM are OS for Real_Time applications with
usage of Posix design. And all three of these OS have some of the build-in
libraries written in C based on the Utah OSKIT. So, these OSs may share the
design concept of openSource but they do not care to spend their time in
maintaining a source tree as other openSource OS do. Because when a
maintainer changes one line in a source file to fix a bug it may cause
changes in 100s of other files. So to maintain the correctness of the OS it is
better bundle the source files into a single archived file and this process
decreases the maintaining and download time as well as traffic cost.

And not all of the openSource OS are GCC version 2 or 3 some have modified
GCC or modified BSD or even their own license that may require the person
downloading to accept the license before downloading.

If you look at sourceforge you will see a lot of packages do not fully use the
CVS/SVN concept due to the fact that the maintainer choose not to. That way
if you download a package you are suppose to get all files required including
the license.

And a final note: openSource is a great concept but it is not a Prefect
concept. Because there is no Perfect concept only what works for that
group of designer at that time. And CVS/SVN/GIT is not perfect either
it is just what some use todays to obtain files. Its better to just
download the package instead of complaining about hot it storage on the
hosting computer.