From: ichbiah@jdi.tiac.net (Jean D. Ichbiah)
Subject: Re: "Beaujolais Effect" -- what is it?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 1994 17:04:39 GMT
Date: 1994-11-19T17:04:39+00:00	[thread overview]

 eachus@spectre.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:

>   I'll take a shot.  Jean Ichbiah offered a bottle of Beaujolais to
>  the first person to find an Ada 83 program where adding a use clause
>  changed the meaning of the program without changing the legality.

Correct.

It is worth pointing that many popular languages have Beaujolais
effect:  Borland Pascal "uses" clause, which takes and additive,
layer-after-layer, interpretation of what you  see in the used packages
(units) definitely exhibits a Beaujolais effect.

Last time I looked at C++, my impression was that several years
of Beaujolais vintage productions would be required.

For a component-based software development, such effects are undesirable
since your application may start not working when you recompile
it with the new - supposedly improved  - version of a component.

Jean D. Ichbiah