* Finding code to read for educational purposes
@ 2010-11-12 20:25 R Tyler Croy
From: R Tyler Croy @ 2010-11-12 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've commented on a GitHub support ticket to ask them to support/index Ada code
in their "Explore" functionality, but I'm wondering if there are any other good
sites to find collections of well commented, well structured Ada code to help
me learn Ada properly?

Somewhere between simple one page tutorials and giant programs would be
helpful.

Cheers

- R. Tyler Croy
--------------------------------------
  GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero

* Re: Finding code to read for educational purposes
@ 2010-11-12 21:22 ` Jeffrey Carter
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2010-11-12 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/12/2010 01:25 PM, R Tyler Croy wrote:
> I've commented on a GitHub support ticket to ask them to support/index Ada code
> in their "Explore" functionality, but I'm wondering if there are any other good
> sites to find collections of well commented, well structured Ada code to help
> me learn Ada properly?

You can find plenty of examples of Ada code at http://www.adaworld.com/ and
http://www.adaic.org/. Many of them are libraries, so they're reasonably easy to
understand.

The Ada-specific search at AdaIC.org might also be useful.

You can find both the PragmAda Reusable Components and the Mine_Detector game
(not giant, but a complete program) at

http://pragmada.x10hosting.com/

--
Jeff Carter
"This scene's supposed to be in a saloon, but

* Re: Finding code to read for educational purposes
@ 2010-11-13 10:14 ` Thomas Løcke
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2010-11-13 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-11-12 21:25, R Tyler Croy wrote:
> I've commented on a GitHub support ticket to ask them to support/index Ada code
> in their "Explore" functionality, but I'm wondering if there are any other good
> sites to find collections of well commented, well structured Ada code to help
> me learn Ada properly?
>

> Somewhere between simple one page tutorials and giant programs would be
> helpful.

I personally enjoy the Ada examples at http://rosettacode.org

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Ada

Some links from the Ada-DK website:

http://ada-dk.org/?page=basics
http://wiki.ada-dk.org
http://wiki.ada-dk.org/index.php/Ada_Resources

Another option is keeping an eye on http://planet.ada.cx for various Ada
projects. Download, unpack, enjoy!

--
Regards,
Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org
Web: http:ada-dk.org
IRC nick: ThomasLocke

* Re: Finding code to read for educational purposes
@ 2010-11-13 12:27 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2010-11-13 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

R Tyler Croy <tyler@linux.com> writes:

> I've commented on a GitHub support ticket to ask them to support/index
> Ada code in their "Explore" functionality, but I'm wondering if there
> are any other good sites to find collections of well commented, well
> structured Ada code to help me learn Ada properly?
>

> Somewhere between simple one page tutorials and giant programs would
> be helpful.

If you go to sourceforge.net and search for 'ada' you'll get 138
results -- OK, the first isn't appropriate, but the rest of the first
page of results looks relevant, I didn't check further.

* Re: Finding code to read for educational purposes
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-13 13:18 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2010-11-13 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/12/10 9:25 PM, R Tyler Croy wrote:
> I've commented on a GitHub support ticket to ask them to support/index Ada code
> in their "Explore" functionality, but I'm wondering if there are any other good
> sites to find collections of well commented, well structured Ada code to help
> me learn Ada properly?
>

> Somewhere between simple one page tutorials and giant programs would be
> helpful.

The GNAT distribution always includes an examples directory.
I think some programs in there will be about a few pages in length.

* Re: Finding code to read for educational purposes
@ 2010-11-13 15:11   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2010-11-13 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 13, 8:18 am, Georg Bauhaus <rm-host.bauh...@maps.futureapps.de>
wrote:

> The GNAT distribution always includes an examples directory.
> I think some programs in there will be about a few pages in length.

You might find the "Ada Gems" page at AdaCore's site interesting:
http://www.adacore.com/category/developers-center/gems/

These are a set of small tutorials on various topics having to do with
Ada - there are 90 some-odd ones there.  Also, if you go to
libre.adacore.com, sources are available for all of the downloadable
tools and components.

- Ed

* Re: Finding code to read for educational purposes
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-14 17:10 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2010-11-14 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/12/2010 02:25 PM, R Tyler Croy wrote:
> I've commented on a GitHub support ticket to ask them to support/index Ada code
> in their "Explore" functionality, but I'm wondering if there are any other good
> sites to find collections of well commented, well structured Ada code to help
> me learn Ada properly?

The Ada sub-reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/ada) has links to a variety
of Ada related information, including Ada software projects, nearly all
of which provide source code.

Marc A. Criley
Ada sub-reddit moderator