* How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-07  5:17 Phoebe
From: Phoebe @ 2005-10-07  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada seems like such an elegant, pleasant language to use, but I get the
impression that actually getting to use it at work is a distant dream.
Should I just not bother actively trying, and relegate it to personal
projects?
(Keeping in mind that I am a new graduate, ie no experience)

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-07  5:25 Robert Klungle
From: Robert Klungle @ 2005-10-07  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

All Aerospace companies are looking for Ada software developers desperately
Examples are: Raytheon, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Ball.
I know for a fact that Raytheon hires new graduates. Especially if they had
a good background in several languages.

Good luck.

bob
> Ada seems like such an elegant, pleasant language to use, but I get the
> impression that actually getting to use it at work is a distant dream.
> Should I just not bother actively trying, and relegate it to personal
> projects?
> (Keeping in mind that I am a new graduate, ie no experience)

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-07  8:24 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2005-10-07  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phoebe wrote:

> Ada seems like such an elegant, pleasant language to use, but I get
> the impression that actually getting to use it at work is a distant
> dream.

I get to use it at work.  The reason is probably that I am hired to do
research, not to develop software.  This means that management doesn't
interfere with my choices in how I do my work (except when they cost
money).

It looks like there are Ada jobs around.  But they appear to be in a
limited supply - like most interesting jobs.

> Should I just not bother actively trying, and relegate it to
> personal projects?

It probably depends on what you want to do.  If you want to do
full-time software development in Ada, it will probably be harder,
than if you just want a job, where your main task isn't software
development, but you are free to write the software you need in Ada.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Only Hogwarts students really need spellcheckers"
                                -- An anonymous RISKS reader

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-07 11:06 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-10-07 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phoebe wrote:
> Ada seems like such an elegant, pleasant language to use, but I get
> the impression that actually getting to use it at work is a distant
> dream. Should I just not bother actively trying, and relegate it to
> personal projects?
> (Keeping in mind that I am a new graduate, ie no experience)

Have you tried: http://www.adaic.org/jobs/jobs.html?

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-07 12:59 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2005-10-07 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phoebe wrote:
> Ada seems like such an elegant, pleasant language to use, but I get the
> impression that actually getting to use it at work is a distant dream.
> Should I just not bother actively trying, and relegate it to personal
> projects?
> (Keeping in mind that I am a new graduate, ie no experience)

Identify a market niche.
Conceive a product that can profitably exploit that niche.
Develop it in Ada.
Voila!  An Ada job!
(Then be successful and hire other like-minded individuals.)

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-09 22:22   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2005-10-09 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <46d9e$43467162$4995387$22287@ALLTEL.NET>, "Marc A. Criley" <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com> writes:
> Phoebe wrote:
>> Ada seems like such an elegant, pleasant language to use, but I get the
>> impression that actually getting to use it at work is a distant dream.
>> Should I just not bother actively trying, and relegate it to personal
>> projects?
>> (Keeping in mind that I am a new graduate, ie no experience)
>
> Identify a market niche.
> Conceive a product that can profitably exploit that niche.
> Develop it in Ada.
> Voila!  An Ada job!
> (Then be successful and hire other like-minded individuals.)

But fewer than if you had chosen another language.

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-10-12 21:44 ` Makhno
From: Makhno @ 2005-10-12 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ada seems like such an elegant, pleasant language to use, but I get the
> impression that actually getting to use it at work is a distant dream.

Have you ever heard the expression "be careful what you wish for?" :)

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-19  2:41   ` Bill Hodges
From: Bill Hodges @ 2005-10-19  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Makhno wrote:
>>Ada seems like such an elegant, pleasant language to use, but I get the
>>impression that actually getting to use it at work is a distant dream.
>

> Have you ever heard the expression "be careful what you wish for?" :)

Goto
http://www.boeing.com/employment/flash.html

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-19  8:44 ` Harald Korneliussen
From: Harald Korneliussen @ 2005-10-19  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Klungle wrote:
> All Aerospace companies are looking for Ada software developers desperately
> Examples are: Raytheon, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Ball.
> I know for a fact that Raytheon hires new graduates. Especially if they had
> a good background in several languages.
>
> Good luck.

I'd like to work with Ada, too, but not for any price. I don't want to
work in the arms industry. Are there any other major niches where Ada
(or perhaps SPARC or Ravenscar profiles) are used?

I'm taking a course on real-time programming now, and we use the Java
RTSJ (well, we would, if we had an implementation. Actually, we just
write regual threaded apps :-). I mention it because one of the authors
of the RTSJ has written our textbook (Peter Dibble at timesys), and he
writes in it that RTSJ isn't good enough for safety-critical real-time
apps - he recommends the Ravenscar profile as the only option.

So, is it true that for the things Ravenscar are used for, there are no
good alternatives?

From: Harald Korneliussen @ 2005-10-19  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-10-19  9:29   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2005-10-19  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Oct 2005 01:44:15 -0700, Harald Korneliussen wrote:

> I'd like to work with Ada, too, but not for any price.

I used to think that people work for money... (:-))

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-19 19:55   ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2005-10-19 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Korneliussen wrote:

> I'd like to work with Ada, too, but not for any price. I don't want to
> work in the arms industry. Are there any other major niches where Ada
> (or perhaps SPARC or Ravenscar profiles) are used?

Boeing and Airbus both use Ada for their commercial airliners' avionics SW.
Raytheon uses Ada for air traffic control SW.

SPARC is a processor; I presume you mean SPARK.

As for arms, they're going to exist whether you work on them or not, and they're
going to be controlled by SW. So the important thing, it seems to me, is how
reliable that SW is. Do you want to be involved in ensuring the safety of
yourself and those you care about, or are you willing to leave that to someone else?

> So, is it true that for the things Ravenscar are used for, there are no
> good alternatives?

Concurrency in Java is quite low level and error prone, including the RTSJ. Ada
is much better, and Ravenscar better still, but for the most critical RT SW, you
might want to look at RavenSPARK.

Unfortunately, the lack of good alternatives rarely stops people from using poor
alternatives.

--
Jeff Carter
"Sons of a silly person."

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-10-20  6:41   ` Harald Korneliussen
From: Harald Korneliussen @ 2005-10-20  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>(Peter Dibble at timesys)
Sorry, wrong developer. It was Andy Wellings.

* Re: How does one find an Ada job?
@ 2005-11-09  3:33   ` Anonymous Coward
From: Anonymous Coward @ 2005-11-09  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1129711455.327595.258190@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Harald Korneliussen wrote:

> I'd like to work with Ada, too, but not for any price. I don't want to
> work in the arms industry.

The market for ADA is small as it is.  Cutting out weapons really
shrinks it down.  But I would like to think that they are using ADA
for safety critical medical hardware (like radiation devices, lasers,
etc).