From: "Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Allocation of local constant arrays
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:07:07 -0400
Date: 2004-05-20T23:07:07-04:00	[thread overview]

Davide wrote:

> As a general way to design the software, if you have constants used only by
> a procedure, do you prefer (for the final application) to nest them in that
> procedure or to keep them together with all the other constants in the
> package body, then visible also to procedures not referencing them?
>
> The question, in other words,  is: locate the data closest as possible to
> operations who used them or tend to "globalize" their visibility also when
> not necessary?
>
> Waiting for opinions.

Never really thought about it.  Usually if I am creating a library the
constant arrays will be used by several functions, so of course I put
them in the package body to have a single copy.

As for "cut-points" in algorithms, usually these are named numbers in
Ada terms.  The compiler will normally put them into the code segment,
so where they are allocated is not an issue.  And I guess I like to have
all the miscellanous cruft that needs a descriptive block comment in the
area where the approach taken by the package as a whole is explained.

--

                                           Robert I. Eachus

"The terrorists rejoice in the killing of the innocent, and have
promised similar violence against Americans, against all free peoples,
and against any Muslims who reject their ideology of murder. Their
barbarism cannot be appeased, and their hatred cannot be satisfied.
There's only one way to deal with terror: We must confront the enemy and
stay on the offensive until these killers are defeated." -- George W. Bush