From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: What is your preferred VCS?
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 23:21:39 -0500
Date: 2010-08-02T23:21:39-05:00	[thread overview]

"Karel Miklav" <karel@lovetemple.net> wrote in message
news:i2ve9u$1qg2$1@adenine.netfront.net...
> deadlyhead wrote:
>> For those who like Monotone: is using a "real database" really that
>> much of advantage?
>
> Where the hell this meme still draws the power from? I have not seen a
> real application with a bunch of files at its core for a long time and I
> do not really believe you are not aware of advantages of database over the
> filesystem.

Well, let's see. Pretty much every Ada compiler uses the file system rather
than some sort of database at its core. Would you claim that GNAT is not a
"real application"??

Personally, I think there is way too much use of "real databases" for
programs that will find no real advantage to them. When you use an SQL
database as part of your program, you are introducing communcations issues,
a second programming language (with all of the problems that mixed language
programming entails), an additional large piece of software that needs
separate maintenance and patching (many attacks occur through databases),
and huge waste of resources. The latter isn't as important as it once was (I
still think any program over 4 megabytes is amazingly bloated; given that
most computers have more than 1GB of memory, that probably isn't quite
true), but the other factors still are true.

There clearly are applications that benefit from a database (as when there
is actually data that needs to be searched/indexed), but for most
applications (especially the smaller ones), the costs of a database outweigh
the benefits.

                                                     Randy.