From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <alejandro@mosteo.invalid>
Subject: Re: What is your preferred VCS?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:58:06 +0200
Date: 2010-07-31T13:58:06+02:00	[thread overview]

deadlyhead wrote:

> (...)
> Now, if going the distributed version control route (which is what I'm
> going for), it seems that, these days, there are basically four
> choices:
>    Git
>    Bazaar
>    Mercurial
>    Monotone
>
> People/projects seem to like these for different reasons, but so far I
> haven't gotten excited by any of them.

I'm late to the party, but FWIW.

I tried a bit of git and mercurial some months ago, when moving to DVCS for
the first time.

I think I could get used to any of these two with sufficient exposure.
However, mercurial felt like a natural transition from svn, whereas with git
there was always a nagging feeling of uneasiness of being forgetting some
option or switch that could ruin my branching/merging. I kept going back to
tutorials and examples for reassurance. With mercurial I feel that I have
the control more easily.

Admittedly, I didn't start with the simplest projects, but tracking remotes
in svn with non-standard configurations, which complicated a bit the first
steps.

OTOH, I prefer the git way of managing remotes over mercurial hand-editing
of (unversioned!?) files. And git-svn is great, as someone already said.

All in all, mercurial was my natural fit, but it seemed less featured than
git. And gitk is really nice. Mercurial port is several years old, I think.