From: BrianG <briang000@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: N best things about Ada?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:12:24 -0400
Date: 2010-07-13T21:12:24-04:00	[thread overview]

Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 7/13/2010 12:05 PM, Pascal Obry wrote:
>

>>    6. Great readability (e.g., begin/end instead of curly braces)
>>

> fyi, the new kid on the block (F#) has done away all together of the
> curly braces and begin. Like Python as well.
>
> These languages use space indentation as part of the logic of the
> program. The idea is that less "clutter" improves readability.
>
>  From MS web site om F#
>
> "The lightweight syntax is shorter and uses indentation to signal the
> beginning and end of constructs, rather than additional keywords like
> begin, end, in, and so on"
>
>  From Python web site:
>
> "Python functions have no explicit begin or end, and no curly braces to
> mark where the function code starts and stops."
>
> I am still not sure which is better. Using an explicit BEGIN END or
> space indentation.
>
> --Nasser

I've always wondered - what would these languages do with a program the
has a mix of space-for-indent and tab-for-indent?  Assuming that can
even happen.

I'm constantly running into these, because of different people editing
using different editors.  Usually it's someone else's, where they didn't
notice that the published final code looks terrible (obviously not in
Python).

Is F# a version of Fortran for .Net?  :-)  (Like A#.)  Or is it Forth?