From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.acm.org>
Subject: Re: N best things about Ada?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:51:52 -0700
Date: 2010-07-13T10:51:52-07:00	[thread overview]

On 07/13/2010 09:18 AM, Warren wrote:

> There is nothing better than early bug detection!

To which we can add completeness checks for case statements and record aggregates.

In fact, aggregates in general. I take them for granted now, but I can remember
using languages that didn't have them.

I remember watching the videos of the "Ada Launch" (Ada 80, 1980 Dec 10) and
Barnes presenting a generic discrete (bit-mapped) set package. That was quite a
revelation for me. I had read about, but not really understood, information
hiding; seeing packages was the light-bulb event for me. When I saw the use of
an array aggregate as a "literal" actual parameter for the make-set function I
realized that this language was more expressive than anything I'd used.

--
Jeff Carter
"When Roman engineers built a bridge, they had to stand under it