From: anon@att.net
Subject: Re: N best things about Ada?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 05:14:29 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2010-07-10T05:14:29+00:00	[thread overview]

In <1122ac0c-8f74-47f9-ade4-fe6348bff6d7@i28g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, tonyg <tonythegair@googlemail.com> writes:
>On Jul 9, 4:08=A0am, a...@att.net wrote:
>> In <97691fd2-7411-4ccc-bc7b-290aca633...@z30g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, u=
>se...@scriptoriumdesigns.com writes:
>>
>> >Serious question: =A0What do you consider the N best things / strong
>> >points / biggest benefits of using Ada? =A0I'm asking as part of my case=
>-
>> >building for using Ada at work. =A0Of course I have my own list, but I
>> >don't have anywhere near the Ada experience of most of you folks.
>>
>> >Thanks.
>>
>> 1. RM defines the language.
>>
>> 2. Muti-Core programs are easy. Just modify/create few run-time packages =
>> switch the real-time concurrent system to a real-time mutiple-core system=
>..
>>
>> 3. Readablity, Reliability, Maintainability, and Efficiency.
>>
>> 4. Portable without conditionals statement. Update the OS or change
>> processor only requires a simple recomping of the source code without
>> changes.
>>
>> 5. from Section 1 of the RM 95:
>>
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Section 1: Gen=
>eral
>>
>> 1 =A0 Ada is a programming language designed to support the construction =
>of
>> long-lived, highly reliable software systems. =A0The language includes
>> facilities to define packages of related types, objects, and operations. =
>=A0The
>> packages may be parameterized and the types may be extended to support th=
>> construction of libraries of reusable, adaptable software components. =A0=
>The
>> operations may be implemented as subprograms using conventional sequentia=
>> control structures, or as entries that include synchronization of concurr=
>ent
>> threads of control as part of their invocation. =A0The language treats
>> modularity in the physical sense as well, with a facility to support sepa=
>rate
>> compilation.
>>
>> 2 =A0 The language includes a complete facility for the support of real-t=
>ime,
>> concurrent programming. =A0Errors can be signaled as exceptions and handl=
>ed
>> explicitly. =A0The language also covers systems programming; this require=
>> precise control over the representation of data and access to
>> system-dependent properties. =A0Finally, a predefined environment of stan=
>dard
>> packages is provided, including facilities for, among others, input-outpu=
>t,
>> string manipulation, numeric elementary functions, and random number
>> generation.
>
>A few years at a eminent european institution which uses Ada, C++ and
>linux I was hired as part of a 5 man team  to conduct a migration of a
>monumental system from a 32 bit environment to a 64 bit environment.
> [...]

Well that the up and downside of a Ada programmer.

We create the partition and after finding and repairing those foolish bugs,
we like to move on, because there no money in upgrading Ada program.
That's because it a few hours recompiling to the new system, then a few
more hours to adjusting the documentation and your done. On to the next job.