From: Markus Schoepflin <nospam@no.spam>
Subject: Re: Make specific warning error with gnat?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:16:24 +0200
Date: 2010-07-05T10:16:24+02:00	[thread overview]

Am 02.07.2010 22:33, schrieb Georg Bauhaus:
> On 7/2/10 11:44 AM, Markus Schoepflin wrote:
>
>> I neither have the time nor the resources available to fix all of them,
>> nor am I allowed to do so. But if the compiler already knows that there
>> will be a constraint error at runtime, I would have liked the
>> compilation to fail.
>
> (I can't think of a way to do this without annotating each
> occurrence in the source program: some programs might want
> the constraint_error to be produced for whatever reason ...)

I'm sure some programs may want to raise constraint errors in their normal
course of action, but I'm also sure it's always an error if one of the
programs I'm dealing with statically raises a constraint error.

By the way, I found the compiler I had in mind in the first place. It was
DEC's/Compaq's/HP's cxx compiler for Tru64. It had very elaborate features
for message control. Each type of message had a unique tag and number, and
you could redefine the severity of most messages by using the option
-msg_<severity> <tag>, where severity is one of inform, warn, error,
enable, disable.

So if constraint error would have had the tag CONSER for example, I could
have said -msg_error CONSER, et voil�, mission accomplished.

> Anyway, grep has helped me scan traces of output and trigger
> actions accordingly, that should be a workaround.
> I understand GPS is programmable, so maybe the log console
> has hooks this sort of special case?

Yes, I think a grep output filter will be the way to go in my case.

Markus