From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Make specific warning error with gnat?
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:17:04 -0500
Date: 2010-07-02T15:17:04-05:00	[thread overview]

"Markus Schoepflin" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
news:i0kcdn$g44$1@nntp.ilk.net...
> I neither have the time nor the resources available to fix all of them,
> nor am I allowed to do so. But if the compiler already knows that there
> will be a constraint error at runtime, I would have liked the compilation
> to fail.

Keep in mind that such a message may occur in cases where there is no actual
problem. That can often happen if you have code that is conditional on
constants. To take an extreme example, if you have:

      Max_Items := constant := 0;

and then the code is:

     if Max_Items /= 0 then
          Average := Float(Count)/Float(Max_Items); -- (1)
     else
          Average := 0.0;
     end if;

The code at (1) would raise Constraint_Error if it was executed, but of
course it can never be executed. If you change the warning to an error here,
you won't be able to compile the code without removing or changing the
expression at (1), and that would cause problems if/when Max_Items is set to
a different value.

                               Randy.