From: BrianG <briang000@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: What is the best way to convert Integer to Short_Short_Integer?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:27:18 -0400
Date: 2010-06-15T21:27:18-04:00	[thread overview]

Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> On 15 Cze, 04:24, BrianG <briang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Let me try to make my point again, since you conveniently cut out my
>> reference to the actual language definition you're discussing.
>
> I have conveniently cut it out as it was not convincing.
> Now let's have that spelled out explicitly.

Um, ok, but I'm not sure why:

"An implementation may provide additional predefined signed integer
types, declared in the visible part of Standard, whose first subtypes
have names of the form Short_Integer, Long_Integer, Short_Short_Integer,
Long_Long_Integer, etc."

I take the "of the form" and ", etc." as meaning these are examples of a
sequence.
Shouldn't we also consider Short_Short_Short_Short_Short_Integer?  (I
assume this would "normally" equate to 1 bit; what's the required range?
- I think it would have to be -1..0 to meet the "standard integer type"
rules. :-)

(That may not be what you meant. ;-)  No offense intended.

>> Should implementations that
>> provide no "nonstandard integer types" also be listed in your
>> "compatibility list", since they are also a "may provide"?
>
> The implementations can be divided into two groups: those that provide
> this type and those that don't. Is it that difficult to document?

So, this one type is the only "incompatibility" you want in your "list"?
  That seems of extremely limited use.  I could understand compiling all
of the Annex M stuff for a set of implementations, or even all of the
'optional' types, but not one piece.

>>  My original point is
>> that I've never heard of anyone compiling that for all compilers
>
> That's an exact answer to my question.

As long as you understand that this is but one data point (and a small
one at that:-).

>> (whatever "all" means -  how could you prove the non-existence of
>> others?).
>
> Excellent point - what about making the list open for additional
> entries? Like, you know, a wiki page instead of carving something in
> stone?
> The C++ community could do that, no?
They'd do that for Ada?  Wow!  :-):-)
For the Ada community, it just takes one person who cares about the
issue and who cares to start the list.  (That's not me.  I don't use
these types and wouldn't use that name in any case.  It has no meaning
to me.)

> In short - I think you are getting too hot for no reason.
I haven't been the slightest bit hot (or even particularly warm) about
this topic.  (Driving home today, that's different - the heat index was
around 115, the car was probably 140+ (F).)
My comment was simply questioning your use of the word "incompatibility"
in this context.  You haven't provided anything that is convincing in
that regard.

I don't think that it is incompatible to fail to provide something
that's not required.  We apparently have different definitions of the
word.  Se la vie.

--The whole wide world
-- An endless universe
--Yet we keep looking through