From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: Multicore problem
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:24:39 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2010-03-10T19:24:39+00:00	[thread overview]

>Thanks a lot to all responded. What is clear now is that the problem
>is rather complicated.
  In the early days of virtual memory, one of our users (at U of
Wisconsin) decided to make use of the large memory by declaring large
arrays, which his program accessed by running down columns.
Unfortunately, the compiler allocated them by rows, so his program's
thrashing brought the whole system to a crawl.  I imagine there will
have to be a similar learning process for using multicores well.