* Deleting or editing usenet posts - does it work? fast?
@ 2014-10-14 16:02 Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-14 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I use the pan newsreader. It has an option to revise or cancel a post.

Because a weblink I posted wrapped to a second line, you could not click
on it as a weblink. So I replied with a correction and then tried
cancelling. I hope this feature works......

Do these options work? in this news group?

My previous post is going to be a bit confusing if it takes too long, or
does not work at all.

If someone reads the previous post about ubuntu graphics problems, please
don't reply for a day(if you were going to). Give the posts a chance to
delete.....

* Re: Deleting or editing usenet posts - does it work? fast?
@ 2014-10-14 19:47 ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-10-14 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-10-14, Phil <dr.kazino@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the pan newsreader. It has an option to revise or cancel a post.
>
> Because a weblink I posted wrapped to a second line, you could not click
> on it as a weblink. So I replied with a correction and then tried
> cancelling. I hope this feature works......
>
> Do these options work? in this news group?

It's Usenet server specific.

Assuming your originating Usenet server doesn't outright drop the cancel
on the floor, it's up to each receiving Usenet server if it honours the
cancel or ignores it as some servers have it disabled due to abuse.

However, I haven't had to look at this for at _least_ a couple of years
so I have no idea what percentage "some servers" actually is these days.

Simon.

* Re: Deleting or editing usenet posts - does it work? fast?
@ 2014-10-15 14:29   ` Peter Chapin
From: Peter Chapin @ 2014-10-15 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014, Simon Clubley wrote:

> It's Usenet server specific.
>
> Assuming your originating Usenet server doesn't outright drop the cancel
> on the floor, it's up to each receiving Usenet server if it honours the
> cancel or ignores it as some servers have it disabled due to abuse.
>
> However, I haven't had to look at this for at _least_ a couple of years
> so I have no idea what percentage "some servers" actually is these days.

I'm not certain of this but I'd be surprised if requests to cancel
messages are honored by "big time" news servers. I think in today's world
the feature is probably only useful for in-house servers used for internal
communication and even then probably only when authentication is required.

Peter

P.S. I hope I'm not making a fool of myself here... this message can't be
canceled and will end up in Google's archives until the end of time. :)

* Re: Deleting or editing usenet posts - does it work? fast?
@ 2014-10-16  9:20     ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-16  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:29:00 -0400, Peter Chapin wrote:

> P.S. I hope I'm not making a fool of myself here... this message can't
> be canceled and will end up in Google's archives until the end of time.
> :)

When exactly is the end of time?

* Re: Deleting or editing usenet posts - does it work? fast?
@ 2014-10-16 10:01       ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2014-10-16 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 16/10/2014 11:20, Phil a écrit :
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:29:00 -0400, Peter Chapin wrote:
>
>> P.S. I hope I'm not making a fool of myself here... this message can't
>> be canceled and will end up in Google's archives until the end of time.
>> :)
>
> When exactly is the end of time?

According to Ada.Calendar, it's (31, 12 2399).

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Deleting or editing usenet posts - does it work? fast?
@ 2014-10-16 23:54       ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2014-10-16 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:20:20 GMT, Phil <dr.kazino@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

>On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:29:00 -0400, Peter Chapin wrote:
>
>> P.S. I hope I'm not making a fool of myself here... this message can't
>> be canceled and will end up in Google's archives until the end of time.
>> :)
>
>When exactly is the end of time?

	The Twelfth of Never?