From: Shark8 <OneWingedShark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Side-channel Attacks (Time)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 00:26:15 -0600
Date: 2014-04-25T00:26:15-06:00	[thread overview]

On 24-Apr-14 23:51, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Shark8 <OneWingedShark@gmail.com> writes:

>>> It could help.
>>>
>>> Choosing an algorithm without branches, and with fixed count loops would
>>> be better.
>>
>> Hm, there's a thought.
>> I rather do like the DELAY UNTIL solution as it concisely states the
>> intention as a timing-attack countermeasure. (Though I've got pretty
>> much no experience in real-time systems, so I can't say if it's
>> actually appropriate.)
>
> The point is that it's too easy to detect the actual processing time,
> vs. the sleeping time waiting for the delay.

No, that's wrong.
If your processing time is 1 ms for 'fail' but response is padded to 10
ms and your processing time for 'success' is 10 ms then trafficwise
there is no difference: both are 10 ms form reception-to-response.

> For example, your electric counter could be monitored by the enemy, and
> would let him deduce the processing time from the instaneous power
> consumed by your computer.
>
> Or for a purely software attack, another process can easily detect when
> more processing time becomes available because other tasks are sleeping.
>
> Even at small scale, on multicores, you could easily detect the
> difference in RAM access contention.

Um, all of these presuppose (a) compromised physical security, and/or
(b) compromised 'process security' [that is, an already-compromised
system] -- I contend both of these are outside the scope of a SW library.