From: Alex <false_email@dontwantspam.com>
Subject: Re: Using the Clipboard in Linux
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:09:22 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2009-11-09T21:09:22+00:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 21:55:19 +0200, Tero Koskinen wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 04:52:29 -0500 Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> Alex <false_email@dontwantspam.com> writes:
>>
>> > I've written an application in windows that involves writing to the
>> > clipboard. I'm trying to write a version to work in Linux (Ubuntu
>> > 9.04 is what I'm developing on) and am struggling to get started with
>> > Florist.
>>
>> Linux the operating system kernel doesn't have a clipboard.
>>
>> X Windows does, and particular window managers may have other
>> variations on it.
>>
>> So you need to look in X Windows documentation, not Linux
>> documentation.
>
> Probably the easiest way is to use GtkAda and its clipboard methods:
> http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gtkada-docs/
gtkada_rm/gtkada_rm/gtk-clipboard.html

> And please note that X Window System (which GtkAda uses) has two
> different clipboards, PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD. (This mostly matters if you
> need to communicate between two different programs via clipboard.)

Tero and Stephen

Thanks very much for your advice - it's a great help.

My application is using GTK anyway but for the windows version I used the
Win32 API so I assumed that symmetrically I would need the Linux API to
do the same on windows. Thanks for clearing that up - I should be able to
crack on and effect the clipboard part of my application with GTK now.

I have to say that I've really found this group a helpful bunch - the Ada
community really does seem a good crowd.

Thanks again chaps

Alex