From: Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: [gnuada, question] installations directory
Date: 2 Jan 2006 08:19:43 -0600
Date: 2006-01-02T08:19:43-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <1150472.HIHOOy7jJt@linux1.krischik.com>, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> We could - just like GNAT/Pro on Windows - install each GNAT into a separate
> directory.
>
> ----
>
> Option 1 (leave as is)
>
> /opt/gnat
>

> Option 2 (just the types):
>
> /opt/gnat/gpl
> /opt/gnat/gcc
>
> Disadvantage: you can still only configure one system in /etc/profile.d and
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d.
>
> Option 3 (inc. version);
>
> /opt/gnat/gpl/2005
> /opt/gnat/gcc/3.4.5
> /opt/gnat/gcc/4.0.2
>
> Disadvantage: What should "rpm --upgrade" do? Probably not what half the
> users would expect.

I don't speak Unix, but several VMS products have the informal ability
to have side versions and also the main version.  The main version is
the one in a less-adorned directory name and is the one that gets updated.

You could probably apply that technique to Unix-land, letting the customer
put individual versions in their correspondingly-named directories and
also put one of those versions in a generally-named directory.  You could
even have the installation procedure readily do a parallel installation
into a correspondingly-named directory when installing into the generally-
named directory.