From: Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Retrieve CD-R TOC
Date: 12 Jul 2002 19:58:13 -0600
Date: 2002-07-12T19:58:13-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <f7c083d5.0207121629.1c67fb4a@posting.google.com>, Filoux@orange.fr (Filoux) writes:
> Hello!!
>
> I'd like to know if it's possible to retrieve the table of content
> (TOC) of a CD with ADA. I'm currently running linux and I need to get
> some information (like cd content, size of files, etc...). I don't
> want to do it by executing a system call like (du -ah) but I'd like to
> do it by accessing the TOC of the CD (or DVD).

The method for doing this depends entirely on the format in which the
CDROM is written.  HFS, ISO9660, etc. all have different data formats
on disc.

If you want to write an Ada program to read a particular format, you
need to get a copy of the specification for that format.  I am very
familiar with ISO9660 and is non-trivial to get it right, particularly
if you want the RockRidge extensions for Posix to be supported.  You
would almost certainly be better off if you could find a Linux OS
call to do it for you rather than writing it yourself in Ada (or any
other language).  This is despite the fact that there are certain
areas in which Linux does not handle the entire ISO9660 specification.