From: "Pat Rogers" <progers@classwide.com>
Subject: Re: Profiling Gnat re. pthread_malloc, pthread_getspecific, system  finalisation & tasking.
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 14:26:05 -0500
Date: 2001-06-23T14:26:05-05:00	[thread overview]

"Charles Darcy" <charlie@mullum.com.au> wrote in message
news:3B344689.8A79ED4F@mullum.com.au...
> Hello,
>
>     I've profiled an Ada program, which I converted from c++, so that I
> might learn why the Ada program performs worse than the c++ version
> (approx. 10 times slower). I'm using Gnat 3.13p and gprof on a Linux
> (Mandrake 8.0) machine. I've used inlining, O3 optimisation, and
> disabled all run-time checks.

By "using inlining" do you mean pragma Inline?  Did you also specify -gnatn?

Is this for your own personal curiosity or for work?  If the latter, let me
strongly suggest you get an evaluation license from ACT so that you can do a
proper comparison -- you will indeed be fighting the issues you mention at
the bottom of your post and will need their help in getting meaningful
results (as would be the case for any vendor).

>     The profile results (below) seem to indicate that pthread_malloc,
> pthread_getspecific consume a large portion of processing time, but
> these functions are a mystery to me. Is there any way to reduce the
> performance cost of these functions ?
>
>     The other expensive sub-programs seem related to tasking and
> controlled types, neither of which I directly use.

Somehow your Ada code does not correspond to your C++ code, regarding
threads.