From: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: GtkAda or Ada or a binding?  Keys
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:51:25 +0100
Date: 2001-09-24T21:51:25+01:00	[thread overview]

"David Botton" <David@Botton.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1001363062.27045.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org...
> You may also want to start with GWindows (if you are on Windows) which is
> lot easier and has a number of very nice tutorials to get you started in
GUI
> programming. (http://www.adapower.com/gwindows)

Which is something that GtkAda lacks, good tutorials.  If I was only
targetting Windows I'd use GWindows, primarily for the reason that it does
have tutorials, even if GtkAda offered me the option to port later.

Even before the tutorials Gwindows was easy to learn, but to have them makes
a real difference (clears up any misconceptions, etc).

> Later if you need the cross platform support you can go back to GtkAda.

The reason for using GtkAda is to develop cross platform apps.  I wanted to
create a different kind of application from the toy programs that i've been
playing with so far.  Thanks for the suggestion and keep up the excellent
work on Gwindows.

Hmm, maybe it is better to start with GWindows since, in the past GUI
programming was something I let JBuilder, etc worry about.

> David Botton
>
> BTW You may want to try in the future asking the GtkAda e-mail list first
> when looking for specifics.

Oky doky.  I thought it'd be best to ask here in this instance but unless
it's a specific Ada issue I'll ask on GtkAda.

Thanks David,
Chris