From: RC <rc1@clanchy.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Ada's Assembly Language Comments
Date: 1997/07/03
Date: 1997-07-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>> Why does Ada have only the " -- " assembly language style, in-line
>> comments and not block structured ones as in C or Pascal or better still
>> nested block structured comments as in Modula 2?
>
>Because this is much much more practical in many aspects.

Why?

>This, however, can only be appreciated by those,
>who wrote tons of code themselves.

... and are therefore assembly language programmers?

Again, why?

>A serious note on the "block structure"dness of C comments:
>
>They begin a comment with a   /*   (AFAIK ;-)
>and end it with a             */
>
>HOWEVER(!) there is no means of further enclosing like
>
>    /*  surrounding text  /*  original text  */   surrounding text */
>
>(as the syntax might suggest at first glance)
>because the FIRST appearance of    */     will end all commentary.
>I consider this paradoxon another unacceptable immaturity,
>like so many others.
>
>--
>Peter Hermann  Tel:+49-711-685-3611 Fax:3758 ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
>Pfaffenwaldring 27, 70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen
>Team Ada: "C'mon people let the world begin" (Paul McCartney)

True, this limitation in Ada doesn't imply that C doesn't have
limitations although C++ does seem to have had end of line comments
added in.  I don't deny their usefulness for documenting individual
lines of code.

I mentioned Modula 2 as it does have the nesting problem sorted and it
seems strange that a language as powerful as Ada would overlook such a
simple and useful feature.

I would normally assume that "grown-ups" would only use C because the
piper payer called for that tune.

RC1