From: gwinn@res.ray.com (Joe Gwinn)
Subject: Re: Gov't, non-DoD use of Ada
Date: 1996/09/16
Date: 1996-09-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <rwnoel-1009961854130001@rwnoel.tiac.net>, rwnoel@tiac.net (Bob
Noel) wrote:

> At least some of the systems the FAA is buying are not "full-custom"
> ATC.  STARS is modified COTS.  The STARS specification requires
> that the application software be written in FIPS-compliant Ada or C.

COTS, modified or not, pretty much pushes you into use of C, as the vast
bulk of existing NDI/COTS code available and suitable for ATC is written
in C.  I think many systems will end up with mixtures of C and Ada, as
it's almost never cost effective to rewrite working fielded code just
because it isn't in the language of choice, whatever that might be.
Adding support for an additional language is orders of magnitude cheaper
and less risky than rewriting a few hundred thousand lines of code.

There isn't that much ATC stuff in C++ just yet, and it's a matter of
debate whether C++ is currently mature enough for ATC use.  There is one
school of thought that we should wait until C++ is fully standardized (by
ANSI/ISO), plus a few years for the tools and implementations to settle
and mature.  However, C++ is rapidly inheriting C's mantle, as the upgrade
is the path of least resistance.

Joe Gwinn