* GNAT and OpenCL
@ 2009-05-07  4:38 Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2009-05-07  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know if there is going to be a GNAT that takes advantage
of OpenCL (Open Computing Language)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL
Jerry

* Re: GNAT and OpenCL
@ 2009-05-07  9:32 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2009-05-07  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is going to be a GNAT that takes advantage
> of OpenCL (Open Computing Language)?

I just took a quick look at the OpenCL documentation.  To me it looks
like it is relatively trivial to use OpenCL from Ada, if you just want
a thin binding, and don't mind writing your OpenCL kernels in OpenCL.

If you want to be able to compile pure Ada as OpenCL, then it seems to
be a much larger problem.  The compiler would have to decide which
parts of the program to run as OpenCL kernels.  And it would have to
compile those parts into OpenCL source code.  (The latter part of the
problem is something which Aonix seems to know a bit about.)

Greetings,

Jacob
--
�Verbing weirds language.�                         -- Calvin

* Re: GNAT and OpenCL
@ 2009-05-07 10:25 ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-05-07 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would say No, because the concept of using a GPU for non-graphical
uses is a "Safety" concern that the Ada RM might have issue with.

Also, Ada is still primary a Concurrent language. But it also allows tasks to be
placed on multiple cpus and/or systems controlled by the Ada RTL and the
programmer. In this design it can go beyond the scope of the openCL
without harming the existing hardware or adding layers upon layers of code.
So, I see no reason for Ada or GNAT to use openCL.

And third, if GNAT wanted to try openCL, first GNU GCC would need to
support the object code needed for CPU/GPU/DSP and openCL.  And GPU
companies are not that friendly to the GPL and GNU groups.

In <5994b17b-0276-488d-9ea9-d791bbc81265@j18g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net> writes:
>Does anyone know if there is going to be a GNAT that takes advantage
>of OpenCL (Open Computing Language)?
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL
>Jerry

* Re: GNAT and OpenCL
@ 2009-05-07 12:25   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-05-07 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 7, 11:25 am, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> I would say No, because the concept of using a GPU for non-graphical
> uses is a "Safety" concern that the Ada RM might have issue with.

Could you expand on what you mean by this?

Cheers
-- Martin

* Re: GNAT and OpenCL
@ 2009-05-07 16:35     ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2009-05-07 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 mai, 14:25, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> On May 7, 11:25 am, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>
> > I would say No, because the concept of using a GPU for non-graphical
> > uses is a "Safety" concern that the Ada RM might have issue with.
>
> Could you expand on what you mean by this?
>
> Cheers
> -- Martin

This is implicite, not explicite.

* Re: GNAT and OpenCL
@ 2009-05-07 22:15   ` Ivan Levashew
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2009-05-07 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

anon wrote:

> And third, if GNAT wanted to try openCL, first GNU GCC would need to
> support the object code needed for CPU/GPU/DSP and openCL.  And GPU
> companies are not that friendly to the GPL and GNU groups.

It could be probably implemented as non-GCC backend.

--
If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom