* GPS and GNATbench problem...
@ 2009-03-12 22:36 Dariusz Linda
From: Dariusz Linda @ 2009-03-12 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
I just downloaded the GNAT GPL Edition from libre.adacore.com.
It installed flawlessly, but the GPS won't start. Instead, it pops up
a window
which states: ...GPS is in an inconsistent state...
Also, GNATbench for eclipse crashes it.

My config is Athlon 64, Win XP Pro (32-bit) + SP3. I've got Cygwin
installed, if that matters.
If anyone had managed to overcome this problem, please help.

regards
D.L.

* Re: GPS and GNATbench problem...
@ 2009-03-15 16:40 ` Christian Gottschalk
From: Christian Gottschalk @ 2009-03-15 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also sprach Dariusz Linda:
> Hi!
> I just downloaded the GNAT GPL Edition from libre.adacore.com.
> It installed flawlessly, but the GPS won't start. Instead, it pops up
> a window
> which states: ...GPS is in an inconsistent state...
> Also, GNATbench for eclipse crashes it.
>
> My config is Athlon 64, Win XP Pro (32-bit) + SP3. I've got Cygwin
> installed, if that matters.
> If anyone had managed to overcome this problem, please help.
>
> regards
> D.L.

Ah, so I'm not the only one. However, this is a Window XP x64 SP2
system. It is also distinguished by having neither Windows, Program
Files nor User Directories in it's standard location (i. e. C:\...) and
having 8.3 name creation disabled. Any of that on your system? Any other
nonstandard modifications which I may have forgotten?
Also, logfile of gps can be found here: http://pastebin.com/f73fad9f8
Now where's that debug build when you need it?

In unrelated news, the Ada.NET setup refuses to install, claiming I
don't have the SDK installed. It's lying.

Ciao,
    Christian

* Re: GPS and GNATbench problem...
@ 2009-03-16  2:21   ` Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2009-03-16  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Gottschalk <sirius27@gmx.net> wrote in news:gpjbkq$lbi$1
@online.de:

> In unrelated news, the Ada.NET setup refuses to install, claiming I
> don't have the SDK installed. It's lying.

I had this issue as well because, in my case at least, I installed the SDK
as part of the Visual Studio 2008 installation. Apparently the SDK is
installed slightly differently than with the older Visual Studio 2005
(which is the version GNAT for .NET officially supports). I understand the
issue is probably related to the SDK version and not the VS version, but in
any case there was a version problem.

The workaround was to manually edit some registry key to contain the
information the installer is looking for (basically a path). The problem is
that the key dosn't exist with the new SDK so you have to create it. Now
you are probably wondering just which register key is involved. Alas, I
don't recall and I can't find it right now. I realize that isn't too
helpful. Perhaps someone else here can jump in with the necessary
details... :-)

Peter

* Re: GPS and GNATbench problem...
@ 2009-03-16 14:50     ` Christian Gottschalk
From: Christian Gottschalk @ 2009-03-16 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also sprach Peter C. Chapin:
>> In unrelated news, the Ada.NET setup refuses to install, claiming I
>> don't have the SDK installed. It's lying.
> I had this issue as well because, in my case at least, I installed the SDK
> as part of the Visual Studio 2008 installation. Apparently the SDK is
> installed slightly differently than with the older Visual Studio 2005
> (which is the version GNAT for .NET officially supports). I understand the
> issue is probably related to the SDK version and not the VS version, but in
> any case there was a version problem.
>
> The workaround was to manually edit some registry key to contain the
> information the installer is looking for (basically a path). The problem is
> that the key dosn't exist with the new SDK so you have to create it. Now
> you are probably wondering just which register key is involved. Alas, I
> don't recall and I can't find it right now. I realize that isn't too
> helpful. Perhaps someone else here can jump in with the necessary
> details... :-)

Ah yes, of course. Process Monitor shows that the installer wants
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\sdkInstallRootv2.0
(that's HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\sdkInstallRootv2.0 for
those with 32-bit Windows) which it cannot find (since the layout did
indeed change). Creating a string value by that name (and the correct
content) worked. Someone screwed up backwards compatibility ... or
AdaCore wasn't folliwing documented procedure.

*facepalm*

Sadly, Process Monitor wasn't so helpful with that other problem.

Ciao,
    Christian