From: Peter Hermann <spam@spam.de>
Subject: Re: Problems setting up a (free) Ada development environment
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 11:23:53 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2009-03-03T11:23:53+00:00	[thread overview]

Tim Rowe <spamtrap@tgrowe.plus.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up Ada on my Windows XP Pro system so I can learn Ada.

should be perfect under WinXP :

first install an up-to-date gnat compiler
(by means of executing e.g.
gnat-gpl-2008-pentium-mingw32msv-bin.exe
or similar )

>   I've got the free version of GNAT, and would now like a development
> environment.

this should run, too.

> I've tried AdaGIDE, but when I run it all that happens is a shell
> console appears and disappears too fast for me to read what's in it.

this seems to indicate a wrong installation.

Better install by means of executing adagide_7.43_setup.exe

> Running from a shell just gives the same result.

not needed: the usual mouse click on the icon is enough.

> point me to one that's easier to set up and use?

AdaGIDE runs extremely comfortable:
As an advanced user of AdaGIDE I need a minimum of entries:
mouse for activating the AdaGIDE-window.
[keyboard enter] for reloading source being updated by my pet text-editor
[keyboard f3]  compile and build
[keyboard f4]  execute