From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: Why can't objects be static in Ada?
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 00:07:21 +0300
Date: 2019-04-17T00:07:21+03:00	[thread overview]

On 19-04-16 23:56 , Lucretia wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 13:11:36 UTC+1, Mark Lorenzen  wrote:
>
>> How can it be ensured that a library written in Ada does not
>> require any elaboration. Pragma Pure? I think that such libraries
>> are "nice" but pragma Pure is too restrictive for that purpose. In
>> such cases it would be good, if e.g. the OP's problem could be
>> solved at compile time without any elaboration.

Why are you so fixated on elaboration? Many non-Ada libraries require
initialization calls. Moreover, I believe a C++ program can have
compiler-generated initialization code similar to Ada elaboration code.

> I don't think it can, going by this thread. I also think this is why
> Ada will fail in other environments, i.e. not security or safety
> critical stuff, but where performance is important.

Performance is plenty important in many embedded real-time applications,
where Ada works just fine.

Elaboration of library items consumes execution time only at the start
of a program. Do you have some stringent start-up deadlines?

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd