* HRT-HOOD
@ 2019-03-14 19:36 russ lyttle
From: russ lyttle @ 2019-03-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any diagramming tools supporting HRT-HOOD?
Google returns lots of academic papers referencing HRT-HOOD, but nothing
about tools. UML and HRT-HOOD seem to have issues.
Thanks

* Re: HRT-HOOD
@ 2019-03-14 20:52 ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2019-03-14 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-03-14 21:36 , russ lyttle wrote:
> Are there any diagramming tools supporting HRT-HOOD?

Ellidiss has some tools, https://www.ellidiss.com/.

See also
http://www.hurray.isep.ipp.pt/ae2006/pdfs/Tuesday/Vendor_Sessions/ellidiss.pdf.

Their STOOD tool is interesting, as it uses Prolog. It is not often one
sees a real-life Prolog application.

> Google returns lots of academic papers referencing HRT-HOOD, but nothing
> about tools. UML and HRT-HOOD seem to have issues.

The Ellidiss presentation linked to above speaks of a tool called
HRT-UML, which seems to be an evolution from (or a replacement of) an
earlier HOOD tool called HoodNICE, of which I have experience from some
decades ago (I would not recommend _that_ version of HoodNICE).

Regarding the HOOD method itself, do note that the HOOD object hierarchy
is not equivalent to an Ada child package hierarchy, because in HOOD a
parent object depends on its child objects, also through the public
specifications. HOOD was designed in the Ada-83 era, before child
packages existed.

The real-time aspects of HOOD itself always seemed baroque to me;
associating real-time behaviour with operations departed too much from
Ada concepts. Nor did the code generator in HoodNICE support those
real-time properties. (Well, it was called a "code generator", but most
of the Ada code had to be manually written into the model's operation
specifications and was just textually copied into the "generated" Ada
sources.)

The real-time concepts in HRT-HOOD felt OK, when I last saw it (a decade
or so ago). As I recall, they were roughly equivalent to the Ravenscar
profile.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: HRT-HOOD
@ 2019-03-14 21:09 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2019-03-14 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 14/03/2019 à 20:36, russ lyttle a écrit :
> Are there any diagramming tools supporting HRT-HOOD?
> Google returns lots of academic papers referencing HRT-HOOD, but nothing
> about tools. UML and HRT-HOOD seem to have issues.
> Thanks
Stood, for example:
https://www.ellidiss.com/products/stood/

--