From: Nick Roberts <nick.roberts@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Software Engineering Ethics
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 04:08:55 +0000
Date: 2005-01-08T04:08:55+00:00	[thread overview]

Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> I've seen some ads for a position converting an Ada application to C++.
> They say they'll train you in C++, as if that were some sort of
> attraction.
>
> Principle 3 of the ACM/IEEE-CS Software Engineering Code of Ethics says,
> "Software engineers shall ensure that their products and related
> modifications meet the highest professional standards possible."
>
> Principle 6 says, "Software engineers shall advance the integrity and
> reputation of the profession."
>
> Isn't anyone who takes this job automatically in breach of these
> principles?

Not automatically, I think. They probably are, in actuality, but the problem
is proving it.

I'm pretty sure the most effective way to evangelise the world about the
advantages of Ada (and about the problems with C++ and its siblings) is to
demonstrate to software businesses -- and their customers -- that using Ada
is cheaper (in the long term) and helps make the product better.

--
Nick Roberts