From: Dan Nagle <dnagle@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Numerical Computation and Ada95
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 07:31:23 -0400
Date: 2001-05-11T11:31:39+00:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

Fortran pointers are more restricted than C pointers.

Fortran has pointer, target and allocatable attributes.
Allocatable objects are not aliased, and pointers are
simply aliases for targets or other pointers.  So the
objects which may be aliased form a distinct subset of
all objects in a procedure.

If the optimizer doesn't see pointer or target, all objects
are distinct.  Fortran has some other "no aliasing"
rules which together generally mean that the same optimizer
may operate more aggressively on Fortran code than C or C++
code.

I _think_ the optimizer may be nearly as aggressive compiling
Ada code, at least if it sees that no 'Access is present
in a procedure.  (My project to learn more about Ada keeps
getting delayed by work. :-( )

On 11 May 2001 06:58:21 -0500, Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam
(Larry Kilgallen) wrote:

<snip requoted>