From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with representation clause in gnat 4.3
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:36:54 -0500
Date: 2008-10-03T21:36:54-05:00	[thread overview]

"Michael Bode" <m.g.bode@web.de> wrote in message
news:gc655v$702$1@online.de...
> Obviously gnat wants to align to DWORD boundaries in the 2nd case but
> not in the 1st. Why and what can I do about it?

I can't answer the why (you'd have to ask the GNAT implementers that), but
the usual fix is to give the size of the record type:

    for Compound'Size use 80;

We did that for all of the interface record types in Claw, because otherwise
compilers tended to come up with different answers (and that didn't work
very well). For instance, Janus/Ada would have used Size = 72 for this
record (which wouldn't matter in this case, but might in some
circumstances).

                                   Randy.