From: gauthier@alphainfo.unilim.fr (Michel Gauthier)
Subject: Re: Abstract Data Types (and a question)
Date: 1998/11/27
Date: 1998-11-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <73j4o2$npf$1@cf01.edf.fr>, "Pascal Obry" <p.obry@der.edf.fr> wrote:

>>  Xavier Nicollin a �crit dans le message <365BD117.3EAE@imag.fr>...
>>
>>  >robinsoj@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>>  >
>>  >By the way, I have a syntactic question about the parsing of the
>>  >expression ``Abstract Data Type'': should it be undertood as
>>  >``(Abstract Data) Type'' or as ``Abstract (Data Type)''. In other words,
>>  >which one is abstract, the data or the type?   [...]
>>   [...]
>>
>>  And you are wrong about the francophone peoples. I've never heard a guy
>>  saying "Type abstrait de donnees''.

Not that simple. You haven't, but I have. Not relevant, in fact.

This is similar to the (IMHO stupid) question of bottles that are either
half-full or half-empty. ___They are BOTH.___

Instead of asking whether the interpretation is (ad)t or a(dt), wouln't we
ask what every interpretation could bring to the understanding of
the underlying concept, which is nethertheless unique ?

Michel Gauthier / Laboratoire d'informatique
123 avenue Albert Thomas / F-87060 Limoges
telephone +33 5 55 43 69 73
fax +33 5 55 43 69 77
Hein, quoi, quelle annee dix-neuf cent nonante dix ?
What exactly about year nineteen ninety ten ?