From: Caffeine Junky <nospam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: newbie inquiry
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:26:04 GMT
Date: 2002-06-13T23:26:04+00:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:19:45 -0400, Ted Dennison wrote:

>> Would Ada be as good a choice as C for writing an OS? a dbms?
>
> I'm not a DB guy, but it would certianly be a far better choice for
> writing an OS. Thousands of security experts and script kiddies would be
> looking for constructive things to do right now if Windows had been
> written in Ada.

I'm not so sure about that Mr. Dennison. One thing I've learned from my
extensive experience with Windows(was an NT Admin for 4 years) and my
regular perusals of the Bloatbusters hall of fame(www.radsoft.net) is
that Microsoft can fuck up even the most trivial of applications,
regardless of what language is being used.
One thing Ada would have done is clarified whether Microsoft fucked up
deliberately or accidentaly, as one really has to work hard to create some
of the screwups I've had the unfortunate "pleasure" to deal with.

Ada is an awsome tool. I use it alot now that I've finally gotten a
handle on it. But it's no silver bullet. The only thing that can really
garauntee quality is the quality of the people behind the software.

Yet, I must agree; from my standpoint, Ada appears to be an excellent systems
language. It's saved me hours of hairpulling. How much more so for the
hackers and engineers mounting the challenge of creating real OS.

Anyways, my .02 worth