* Re: SAFEARRAY and RECT, was Re: DirectX bindings
       [not found]     ` <002e01c063a4$d1928240$850118ac@dbdell2000>
@ 2000-12-12 19:06       ` (null)
From: (null) @ 2000-12-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <002e01c063a4$d1928240$850118ac@dbdell2000>,
David Botton <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org> wrote:

>Is there a reason you can not just copy the data out of the one structure
>and put it in the other that works or is the structure the same but the
>contents different? If the contents are different, then typelib versions
>won't make a difference.

I've been looking through the type library in dx7vb.dll and the
information in ddraw.h.  The DX7 type library for Visual Basic
outlines a completely different objects than the C header files
for DX7.  Certain methods exist in one, but not in the other.
Some methods exist in both the C and the VB version, but take
different parameters.

Since I need to interface with Quicktime and since Quicktime is expecting the C++ versions of the COM objects, I think I'm
out of luck with regards to the dx7vb.dll.  If I didn't need to use
Quicktime then dx7vb.dll would be fine, but since I do, I guess
I get to learn about turning a C header file into a type library.

>Trying use using comscope on the dll included with DirectX to see if any of
>those contain one (I doubt it.)

You doubts are correct.

Anyway, thanks for your replies; they've been helpful.  And thanks
especially for GNATCOM.  Writing bindings to DirectX by hand would
almost be enough to make me take up pig farming for a living.

A new slogan for GNATCOM?  "Enough to keep you away from pig farming."  :-)

 Life is short.                  | Craig Spannring
      Bike hard, ski fast.       | cts@internetcds.com

* Re: SAFEARRAY and RECT, was Re: DirectX bindings
@ 2000-12-13 15:16         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2000-12-13 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

I just remembered that VC (I think the DX7 SDK also) ships with the actual
IDL files for DX that are used to generate the C headers. You can modify
those to produce a type library (by adding a library section) and use that
type library.

David Botton