* ridiculous question
@ 2008-06-24 21:57 raould
From: raould @ 2008-06-24 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

has anybody ever seen a Lisp syntax front-end for Ada?

* Re: ridiculous question
@ 2008-06-24 22:18 ` Ludovic Brenta
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-06-24 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

raould writes:
> has anybody ever seen a Lisp syntax front-end for Ada?

You mean something like

(with Ada.Text_IO
  (procedure Hello is
   (Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line ("Hello, World"))))

?

LOL

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: ridiculous question
@ 2008-06-24 23:02 ` anon
From: anon @ 2008-06-24 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you mean Lisp to Ada.  The answer is no.  As for Ada to Lisp, the
answer is still no. Most Lisp people are having too much fun playing
with Lisp and trying to improve Lisp to deal with Ada. And Ada people
are doing their thing with Ada.

There may be a "Interface.LISP" package but I am not sure about that.

@ 2008-06-24 23:33 ` Ivan Levashew
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2008-06-24 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

raould пишет:
> has anybody ever seen a Lisp syntax front-end for Ada?

http://www.grammatech.com/products/aa/overview.html

Ada-ASSURED is a powerful tool that ensures consistent coding style,
prevents syntax errors, and provides productivity features for writing
and reviewing Ada code. It features language-sensitive editing,
automatic standards enforcement, high-quality pretty printing, and
hypertext browsing in a single package. It can be used with any Ada
compiler.

Ada-ASSURED's open architecture enables you to create custom tools or
integrate it with existing tools to automate tasks. The power of
Ada-ASSURED's scripting language comes from its structured internal
representation of your code. Ada-ASSURED automatically categorizes each
construct in your file. In contrast, if you use text-oriented tools like
awk, sed, grep, or perl, you must do the categorization yourself. As a
result, tasks performed with difficulty using a text-oriented tool are
often much easier in Ada-ASSURED.

http://www.grammatech.com/aadoc/scripting-language.html

The scripting language of Ada-ASSURED is based on Scheme. Scheme is a
powerful general-purpose programming language derived from Lisp.
Although its syntax may be unfamiliar to you, it is easy to master. The
real benefit of Scheme, however, is not its syntactic simplicity, but
its semantic power.

--
If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom

* Re: ridiculous question
@ 2008-06-25 14:59   ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2008-06-25 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

anon a �crit :
> If you mean Lisp to Ada.  The answer is no.  As for Ada to Lisp, the
> answer is still no. Most Lisp people are having too much fun playing
> with Lisp and trying to improve Lisp to deal with Ada. And Ada people
> are doing their thing with Ada.

Long time ago, there was an Ada compiler on a Symbolics machine, which
was a Lisp machine. Long, long time ago...

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: ridiculous question
@ 2008-06-25 15:19   ` Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 2008-06-25 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 24, 4:02 pm, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> If you mean Lisp to Ada.  The answer is no.  As for Ada to Lisp, the
> answer is still no. Most Lisp people are having too much fun playing
> with Lisp and trying to improve Lisp to deal with Ada. And Ada people
> are doing their thing with Ada.

And let's not even *talk* about Forth people...

text_io ada dot_selector with "hello, world" begin put_line text_io
ada dot_selector dot_selector end hello define_procedure

(OK, I don't really know Forth at all---I'm just making this up.)

:-)

                           -- Adam

* Re: ridiculous question
@ 2008-06-25 15:27     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-06-25 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:
> Long time ago, there was an Ada compiler on a Symbolics machine, which
> was a Lisp machine. Long, long time ago...

Maybe the OP was referring to a compiler front-end written in Lisp
that would parse Ada sources? Was the Ada compiler you describe like
that?

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: ridiculous question
@ 2008-06-25 15:41       ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2008-06-25 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:27:04 -0400, Ludovic Brenta
<ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

> Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:
>> Long time ago, there was an Ada compiler on a Symbolics machine, which
>> was a Lisp machine. Long, long time ago...
>
> Maybe the OP was referring to a compiler front-end written in Lisp
> that would parse Ada sources? Was the Ada compiler you describe like
> that?

The prototype Ada compiler I worked on at Stanford had its front-end
written in MacLisp.  It was a very effective vehicle for working with the
abstract syntax tree.

* Re: ridiculous question
@ 2008-06-26  5:48       ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2008-06-26  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta a �crit :
> Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:
>> Long time ago, there was an Ada compiler on a Symbolics machine, which
>> was a Lisp machine. Long, long time ago...
>
> Maybe the OP was referring to a compiler front-end written in Lisp
> that would parse Ada sources? Was the Ada compiler you describe like
> that?

Honestly, I don't know. I must have thrown all documentations about this
  compiler ten years ago, on grounds of total obsolescence...
            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: ridiculous question
@ 2008-06-26  8:02         ` anon
From: anon @ 2008-06-26  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

For an Symbolics Lisp Machine emulator try:

   http://www.unlambda.com/

follow the link for "Symbolics Lisp Machines and emulation"

And if you email the "Brad Parker" (check mailing list for address) he
may be able to help in finding the software!  The problem is that it
will be in the Symbolics Lisp, so you may need to convert to current
LISP that you wish to use.

In <0kav3g.rgp.ln@hunter.axlog.fr>, Jean-Pierre Rosen <rosen@adalog.fr> writes:
>Ludovic Brenta a �crit :
>> Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:
>>> Long time ago, there was an Ada compiler on a Symbolics machine, which
>>> was a Lisp machine. Long, long time ago...
>>
>> Maybe the OP was referring to a compiler front-end written in Lisp
>> that would parse Ada sources? Was the Ada compiler you describe like
>> that?
>>
>Honestly, I don't know. I must have thrown all documentations about this
>  compiler ten years ago, on grounds of total obsolescence...
>--
>            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)
>Visit Adalog's web site at http://www.adalog.fr

* Re: ridiculous question
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-07-04 18:47 ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2008-07-04 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Raould" <raould@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:273ba3a6-142b-4e05-bc12-d576968fa6b6@x19g2000prg.googlegroups.com :
|"has anybody ever seen a Lisp syntax front-end for Ada?"|

This reminded me of such tales on Team-Ada...
Phil Johnson's
"Re: Decline of Ada popularity (was Re: Proposal : For-Loop...)"
timestamped Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:22:18 -0500 on
HTTP://ListServ.ACM.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0108&L=TEAM-ADA&P=R3285
and
Wesley Groleau's
"Re: compiling LISP with an Ada compiler." timestamped Mon, 27 Aug 2001
11:17:00 -0500 on
HTTP://ListServ.ACM.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0108&L=TEAM-ADA&T=0&O=A&P=9051

Regards,
Colin Paul Gloster

P.S. To those who knew and cared about my unemployment: thank you for
your sympathy. I have recently been awarded a grant. I have not yet had time
to personally inform you. As for those of you who knew and were abusive to
me: shame on you.