From: clodius@hotspec.lanl.gov (William Clodius)
Subject: Re: C vs. Ada (was "C is better ...)
Date: 1996/08/08
Date: 1996-08-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <9608071745.AA09187@most> "W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)"
<wwgrol@PSESERV3.FW.HAC.COM> writes:

   William Clodius points out:
     "...most optimizations are performed in the language-independent
      backends.  ...  Strong typing in any language helps with optimization,
      and both C and Ada ... have strong typing."

   1. C has strong typing?  The language where type conversions between
      float, integer, and boolean often occur without the programmer's
      knowledge?

   2. If "optimizations are performed in the language-independent
      backend," how can strong typing, or any other feature of Ada
      make optimization easier?  Is the omitted word "most" the answer?

I made a mistake. I meant static typing not strong typing. Typing
largely determines the semantics of code, and the extent to which the
front end can define the static semantics of the code can influence
the back end's optimizations. The more semantic information the
backend has the easier it is to determine which code modifications do
not change the semantics.
--

William B. Clodius		Phone: (505)-665-9370
Los Alamos National Laboratory	Email: wclodius@lanl.gov