From: clodius@hotspec.lanl.gov (William Clodius)
Subject: Re: Ariane Crash (Was: Adriane crash)
Date: 1996/07/31
Date: 1996-07-31T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

One point I would like to emphasize is that the out of bounds error
occured in a portion of the software that was not useful once launch
commenced. This has several implications

1. Utilization of this software should have ceased as soon after
launch as possible, freeing computational resources as soon as
possible.

2. The effect of exception handling on processor utilization for this
portion of the software should have been important only during the
prelaunch phase, when I suspect processor utilization would have
been minimal.

3. The proper action to take in the event of an exception in this
portion of the software should be based on what the proper action
should be before launch.  I would not be surprised to discover that
the proper action would be to shut down the processor at that stage.

--

William B. Clodius		Phone: (505)-665-9370
Los Alamos National Laboratory	Email: wclodius@lanl.gov