From: Fionn mac Cuimhaill <invisible@hiding.from.spam>
Subject: Re: ASIS for MinGW GNAT
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:05:43 GMT
Date: 2005-02-12T18:05:43+00:00	[thread overview]

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:26:44 +0100, Martin Krischik
<martin@krischik.com> wrote:

>Fionn mac Cuimhaill wrote:
>
>> I presume that this is a non-trivial project. Otherwise, it could
>> reasonable expected to be already be a part of MinGW.
>
>I am unsure if the MinGW maintainers are interested in ASIS. However, if you
>are successful I make you a maintainer and you can make binary releases at
>sourceforge
>
> ... snip ...
It turned out to be simpler than I expected. I built ASIS on my
Windows XP development computer.

I downloaded the MinGW Ada source, (which is v 3.4.2,) and your newest
ASIS. After extracting both, I found that ASIS already had the
relevant parts of the GNAT Ada compiler extracted into various
subdirectories, one for each of several versions of the compiler.
3.4.2 was missing. I created the appropriate subdirectory, and, using
one of the other directories as a model, I copied all of the
appropriate GNAT source files into the ASIS 3.4.2 subdirectory .

I copied the asis_install.bat to asi_install.cmd and used that to
install ASIS. I needed to do only two minor changes to the existing
configuration to build ASIS:

1. asis_install needed the compiler sources to be moved upstairs one
directory level.

2. The version.c file was not being compiled. I added one line to
asis_install.cmd, immediately after this line:

gnatmake -c -I../gnat -I../asis -g -O2 install_asis.adb

The new line is:
gcc -c ../gnat/version.c

There was one compilation warning about a variable possibly being used
before it was initialized.

I now have a working gnatstub, which was what I wanted.