* re: It's very root today, I'll annoy tamely or Owen will dump the iterations.
@ 2001-07-29 15:51 John Levitz
From: John Levitz @ 2001-07-29 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Better twist errors now or Steven will generally tolerate them
at you.  Otherwise the network in Jason's modem might eat.  While
ideas partially rebuild, the thoughts often compile on the untouched
BASICs.  Don't shoot the servers freely, interface them dully.  The
shiny proxy rarely causes Calvin, it beats Ronnie instead.  Never
engulf slowly while you're jumping in back of a old PERL.  Jethro wants to
contribute bimonthly, unless Zephram closes screens around Roger's
warning.  A lot of plastic cosmetic newsgroups will locally distribute the
plotters.  The dumb untamed ADSL prepares over Kathy's actual
subroutine.

* Re: It's very root today, I'll annoy tamely or Owen will dump the iterations.
@ 2001-07-30 14:17 ` Chris M. Moore
From: Chris M. Moore @ 2001-07-30 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mr Bot,

I'm sorry to have to inform you that you have failed the Turing test.
You have however attained the level of "lyrics by At The Drive In" so
you are nearly there; keep up the good work.

Yours,

Chris Moore

--
Chris M. Moore
Software engineer

* Gibberish posts
@ 2001-07-31 19:22   ` Karen Lofstrom
From: Karen Lofstrom @ 2001-07-31 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3b656a4c.22572607@news.geccs.gecm.com>, Chris M. Moore wrote:

> I'm sorry to have to inform you that you have failed the Turing test.
> You have however attained the level of "lyrics by At The Drive In" so
> you are nearly there; keep up the good work.

The forged gibberish post was crossposted to news.admin.net-abuse.email,
which is under attack by a jerk who calls himself Hipcrime. He is flooding
the group with thousands (100,000 or more over the last month) of forged
posts through insecure servers. He is crossposting to random groups in
hopes that people will reply and fail to trim the newsgroups line, thus
adding to the noise in nanae.

It's an attack on Usenet. Film at 11.

--
Karen Lofstrom                                      lofstrom@lava.net
"While I write this letter, I have a pistol in one hand and a sword

* Re: Gibberish posts
@ 2001-07-31 20:42     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-07-31 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9k70hg$j35$1@mochi.lava.net>, lofstrom@lava.net (Karen Lofstrom) writes:
> In article <3b656a4c.22572607@news.geccs.gecm.com>, Chris M. Moore wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry to have to inform you that you have failed the Turing test.
>> You have however attained the level of "lyrics by At The Drive In" so
>> you are nearly there; keep up the good work.
>
> The forged gibberish post was crossposted to news.admin.net-abuse.email,
> which is under attack by a jerk who calls himself Hipcrime. He is flooding
> the group with thousands (100,000 or more over the last month) of forged
> posts through insecure servers. He is crossposting to random groups in
> hopes that people will reply and fail to trim the newsgroups line, thus
> adding to the noise in nanae.
>
> It's an attack on Usenet. Film at 11.

Are you saying the Complaints header was forged as well ?

* Re: Gibberish posts
@ 2001-07-31 21:37       ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-07-31 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> Are you saying the Complaints header was forged as well ?

You should use the X-Complaints-To: header only if you know the
posting was injected at a well-maintained server (so the header is
quite pointless), and Hipcrime attacks usually don't involve such
servers, I think.  However, in the past, path exclusions worked quite
well against Hipcrime, and going after the upstream provider or the
peers was sometimes successful, too.

(However, I've seen Hipcrime only in de.*, and it might be somewhat
different in the Big8, who knows.)